This Blog is for anyone that wants to be successful in life. I write about business, family, career, investing and anything else that has helped me and can help you become successful. (Brought to you by Marvin (eMarv) Corea, Founder of the Succeed Network!)

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

For people leaving the military

Start looking for work or at least seeing what's out there at least a year before your ETS (i.e. before you get out). You do not want to be in a situation where you have one month before you get out and you have nothing to jump into because that is when desperation will likely overcome you and many employers do not necessarily want someone that is desperate. In addition, it may take some companies a few months before they are able to hire you because of their layers of management and hiring system. I will give you my situation so you can know of one way to do it: It must have been probably January of 2000 and I was tired... Why you may ask? Because my job was becoming boring and it was not challenging. I had just returned from being in the Defense Attache Office in Hanoi, Vietnam (where the job was not incredibly exciting but at leat we got to experience Vietnam). I wanted to do something... something different. So I started exploring opps outside of the military at least a year before my ETS and applied for a position with Oracle Corporation (among others) about 4 months before my early out. Tarisa (my manager at Oracle) luckily saw something in me and hired and the rest is history...